Sunday, August 30, 2009

Snowflake Method - Characters' POVs

The next step is to write the story synopsis from each character's point of view, allowing a full page for each major character and a half page for each important character.

I've let Nick and Malcolm tell the story from their viewpoints thus far. There is, of course, more information I need to tease out of them, but here is what they've given me to date:

Nick Aceret – POV

There I was, working furiously to finish my novel, and BAM! The next thing I know, I wake up in a body that feels like it’s been put through the wringer and then crushed like a junked car. It took me a few moments to get my bearings, and then I heard a voice I’d only heard in my head before say, “I think the body fell over here, Sarge.” Oh my God – that’s Riley! I struggled to my feet, looked down at my body – the one I woke up in – and realized something with either very wrong or I’d been on this writing binge way too long! Note to self – 75 hours is the wall! Don’t hit the wall! I shook my head to clear the scene and refocus on the print of (insert name of painting) by (insert name of artist) hanging on the wall in front of my desk. Big mistake! The world went fuzzy, and I had to sit down before I fell down! Choking back the vomit rising in my throat, I realized – Nick, you’re not in Kansas anymore! – I was actually living Malcolm’s final moments – wait a minute, if I’m here, where is Malcolm? I heard Riley coming closer and looked for a place to hide, a way to escape. I knew his intent was to stop Malcolm, by deadly force if necessary (and for the purposes of my novel that’s exactly what was necessary – this was Malcolm’s last appearance in my work – he’d become too disturbing a character even for me, and it was time to move on). Ah, salvation! An entrance to the city’s sewer system. All I had to do was get in there without leaving too much of a trail for Riley to follow. Just got to power through this body’s injuries – come on grate! Ah, success! Ok, one foot below the other on the ladder, pull the grate back into place, gently. Good. Now down the ladder – close the eyes, one foot at a time, ah – the bottom. Breathe – ouch! – maybe some busted ribs there – focus – go down the darkest path – there, to the left – quietly – ah, a turn to the right – stop! Listen – nothing coming – find a dry spot to rest for a while. At least it was only a two story tumble – and Malcolm does – did – know how to land – injured ribs, slight concussion – major bruises, but no other damage to internal organs as far as I can tell – arms and legs still work. Should have thought to devise a schematic for the sewer system – oh well, with the way the city grew out, it’s probably a hodgepodge anyway – focus – where’d we land again? That’s right, off the highway bridge that goes over the big park near the river. Think – what would Riley be doing now? How close were we to the river? That’s too expected – Riley would have the entrances to the system near the river covered, as well as the ones in the park – damn! Hey wait – I went left, then right – if I keep going until I hit another left, I should be able to daylight in the city somewhere – got to keep moving. Ok, enough of the inch by inch stuff…I start hearing voices as I’m making my way through the system – wait – that’s a female voice – a familiar female voice – Marlena? But – I wrote you off the page and into the drink at the end of the third novel – how did you? Never mind – why are you here now?

You know, if I wasn’t living it, I’d still ignore the warnings about Malcolm – how could I have been so blind? And how in Hades do I get out of this mess?

Oh, right, you’re going to distract Malcolm long enough and strong enough for Agent Averdue and his team to do a reverse transfer? You know he grew tired of you, right? That’s why I/we threw you in the river at the end of the third novel. So what makes you think you can distract him without fear of recognition now? Ah, oh, okay – that’s a neat trick – too bad you can’t switch with Riley Brown, the lead detective now.

You think you can?

Oh, now you’re telling me to step back and let you do your job? Okay, okay – yes, I want my body and my reality back. Don’t hurt him too bad, I need him for my next book! Wow – identical! Ok, off I go – Pop!

Whoa – gingerly moves head and takes slow, deep breath – looks around writing room to see the print of (need name of painting) hanging on the wall in front of my desk. Looks down at the manuscript to find that Riley Brown has tracked the injured Malcolm Price through the sewer system with the help of the cadaver dogs.

“I’m sorry old chap.”

As Malcolm gathers and lunges at Riley Brown, a shot rings out and Malcolm falls to the filthy floor of the sewer tunnel. Dead for real this time.

Nick felt the tension go out of his body as he hears Marlena whisper in a smoky male voice, “Got him!”

POV – Malcolm Price

It was the perfect plan – switch spots with Nick and I’d be home free – after Riley finished me, I mean him, off, of course.

Nick should have died when he went into the body he’d run off the bridge anyway, as bruised and broken as it was – how was I to know that his caffeinating ways would restart everything?

I paused to take a glance around my new abode and the sucker finds his way into the sewer system, slithering away as fast as he can before Riley Brown – the detective type he thought would be able to finish me off – Please! Riley’s not that wily! – got to the spot where the body landed!

So, Riley spent some time poking through the sewer system on the (name of river) River side before deducing that Nick was heading towards the (name of another river) River – makes sense – Nick’s actions, not Riley’s – I would have done the same. Then I caught this familiar flavor in the story, like….Marlena was back – but she couldn’t be – I mean, we dumped her in the river at the end of the third novel – and even I with caffeinated Nick’s help couldn’t have survived That Fall! I shook it off – turns out I should have paid attention that time – as I was enjoying a sumptuous meal of veal with a nice chianti and some fava beans, Riley allowed himself to be knocked out cold, and then somehow Marlena took his identity - the base flavor was still there, but muskier, stronger, now – then I felt a bit light-headed – figured it was the wine, until I heard Von Schutzel’s voice – just as annoying as when he was trying to convince Nick I was dangerous – should have listened to him, Nick, old boy! – Hey, I’m slipping – nooo! Damn! They figured out my plan – come on Riley, you’re not really going to kill off your Moriarity, are you? Wait! You’re not Riley! You’re, you’re – Marlena!

Pop! World fades to black.

No comments: